August 27, 2010

Remember when

Ever just sit and remember growing up? Not just the friends you hung out with or the vacations you took, but really think about how things have changed?

Remember when you only had one TV? Remember when you actually had to get up off the couch to "turn" the channel? Or adjust the "rabbit ears" on top of the TV.

Or, if you were lucky to have a 2nd tv (like us) it was a little black & white tv that you fought over with other siblings to watch. I remember having to go into the spare bedroom if I wanted to watch "Roller Derby". You had to share!

Remember when you had to actually walk into the kitchen to answer the phone? (and NOT knowing who was on the other in)?
If the call was for you, you grabbed a chair from the kitchen table & pulled it over to the wall to sit in while you talked to your girlfriend, and your parents timed you!! God forbid a parent tell a kid/teenage they have only 10 minutes to talk on the phone!!

Remember when cartoons only came on Saturday mornings? And you would promise to clean you room after "The Archie's", "Scooby Doo", and "American Bandstand"!!!



Remember actually walking to school, to the park to play, or to the store? I can remember riding my bike to the store to get an item or 2 for my mom. There were even times my aunt would call & I would ride my bike over to her house, get the money & list of items. Then ride my bike to the store & back to her house, drop off the items & then ride home. Can you imagine asking a teenager to ride a bike to the store! How embarrassing that would be for them.

And who could forget the Saturday afternoon matinee. My best friend & I would walk downtown, go to the record shop to look at the 45's. Then walk over to Foster Freeze for a taco & soda, and then around the corner to the movie theater. If we were lucky, there might be some cute boys there too. Ahhh, the good old days.

3 comments:

Norman & Trynitee Peat said...

Well some of the things you mentioned I don't quite remember the way you do because once again I have to remind you that you are older then me!! lol But I do remember some stuff like Saturday cartoons but mine were the smurfs. I also remember walking through the field by my house and going to Cy's Market to buy penny candy. Life was just more simple back then and that I miss.

Unknown said...

I breifly remeber no caller ID. I remeber pogs(the bottle cap game) and walking to video express and golden swirl for movies and ice cream. I love that I had a fantastic childhood(thanks mom and dad) i know other who weren't so lucky and it breaks my heart.

BerlyCrow said...

Yeah...umm...I BARELY remember not having caller ID...or cell phones, for that matter, LOL! However, maybe it's that we live in a small town, but you might appreciate the fact that I send my daughter on her bike down to the corner market when I need something. And she and her friends have also walked to the park and to the pool. However, I was probably ALOT more nervous about those things than our parents were when we were little, and, she has to text me when she gets there, LOL.