August 15, 2010

Elvis, the King of Rock & Roll


Do you know where you were on August 16, 1977? I sure do. I was at my babysitting job & watching ABC Channel 7 news out of Los Angeles when I heard that the King of Rock & Roll was dead. I was in shock!!! I called my mom right away, but she already knew of course.
I grew up on Elvis. My mom had all his records & she played them all the time.
Saturday was house cleaning day & my mom would wake me up with Elvis music blasting through the house. It was a must! Even when I got married, I would clean my house on saturday with Elvis music playing. Except I had cassette's & 8-tracks. LOL.


I can pretty much tell what period of time it was by a Elvis picture. This first picture in color I call his "Movie" period. Of course the black & white is the late 50's. (not my favorite music time, but I wasn't born yet either).
But the pictures of him in his black leather, now THAT is a different story. This was in 1968 during his "COMEBACK SPECIAL". I remember being glued to the TV. I also remember wishing I was sitting around that stage at the NBC studio's , which was probably only 300 miles from my house!!!


Then in 1970, the big screen!! "Elvis, that's the way it is" A documentary type movie.

There are just so many Elvis memories, that I can't even list. I know some of you are bored already & have stopped reading, but I can't quit without posting my all time favorite TV program...."Aloha from Hawaii". Now that was a TV performance!!
If you watched it, you will remember when he took off that white cape & threw it into the audience. I remember my mom & my aunt talking about that for days.



This man I will always remember, and I believe he would still to this day be as popular as he was in the 50's, 60's and 70's.
**for my mom & my girlfriend Phyllis in Tennessee.**

4 comments:

BerlyCrow said...

Well...I was Negative 2 years old when Elvis died, but I'm a huge fan!! My favorite documentary-type Elvis show is a made-for-TV movie called "Elvis & Me". Love it! It's told more from the perspective of Priscilla. Long live Elvis!

Norman & Trynitee Peat said...

Yes I do know where I was, in heaven playing with other heaven babies and not a twinkle in my mommy's eye yet. He He Do you feel old now Nat?

Coco said...

Oh my gosh, Natalie, listen to these two youngsters going on and on about not even being born yet!!!

I was on my way to my sister's graduation from college when the news broke!! There, you and I are both of an age that remembers!!

Piece of Elvis trivia for you - learned this just today!! With the exception of five concerts in Canada, all of Elvis' concerts were in the United States!! Crazy, huh!!!

Unknown said...

He was the King of Rock & Roll!!! I loved the made for T.V. movie with Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing Elvis. I've always loved how music can create such great instant memories!